Centre for language resources and technologies at the University of Ljubljana (CJVT UL) is a research unit that is aimed at scientific research, and the development and maintenance of key digital language resources and language technology applications for contemporary Slovene. The developed resources and applications should have practical value and should be accessible to all the Slovene language users around the world.
The agreement to form CJVT UL was signed in December 2012 by the rector of the University of Ljubljana at the time, Prof. Stanislav Pejovnik, and deans of five faculties: Faculty of Social Sciences, Faculty of Arts, Faculty of Education, Faculty of Electrical Engineering, and Faculty of Computer and Information Science. The representatives of the five faculties agreed to sharing a common interest in developing research and other supporting activities for language resources and technologies for Slovene. CJVT is part of the Network of Research and Infrastractural Centres at the University of Ljubljana.
CJVT has been founded amidst concerns about the unfavourable state of the research on modern Slovene, and of language technologies and resources for Slovene. For this reason, the University of Ljubljana (where many study programmes and research programmes are taking place, and where many researchers in this field are based) took on the responsibility to improve the situation and form an institution that could ensure a systematic long-term development of technologies, resources and tools for Slovene enabling it to keep up with other languages in the digital world.
Among the most important research tasks are:
1. Description of contemporary Slovene from all aspects: descriptive, normative, terminological, technological, didactic etc., focusing on the needs of different end users of language resources, descriptions and language technology tools.
2. Also important research area is the use of CALL (Computer-assisted Language Learning) in teaching Slovene and other languages.
The main infrastructural tasks, focused on practical applications of language resources and tools and targeted at the users of Slovene, are:
1. Continuous and user-friendly access for various end users to Centre's corpus, lexical, terminological and other resources.
2. Development and maintenance of online learning environments for teaching and learning of Slovene and other languages.
3. Controlled distribution of publicly funded and freely accessible language resources and tools for Slovene according to the practices of EU and distribution centres for other languages.
Basic digital language resources for Slovene include those resources that are also available for other offical languages of the EU with a similar number of speakers, such as large corpora of contemporary written language, speech corpora, digitized dictionaries, and lexical databases (WordNet, FrameNet etc.). Basic language technology tools include taggers, syntactic and semantic parsers, text summarizers and similar tools that are essential for the use of language technologies in different digital media, e.g. the Internet, mobile phones etc.